Gluten-free dark chocolate almond butter oatmeal bars - the name of this easy dessert is really long, but it's ohhhh soooo good. I mean, what could be better than a dessert with an oatmeal based topped with chocolate and salty almonds?
These gluten-free dark chocolate almond butter oatmeal bars are also packed with healthy ingredients like old fashioned oats, milled (ground) flax seed, and both pecans and almonds.
The easy oatmeal bars are very tasty, but I've that they are also very filling thanks to the protein and healthy fat from the nuts.
Check out the original recipe from @hummusapian.
Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Oatmeal Bar Ingredients
- Old Fashioned oats. Old fashioned oats make up the bulk of the oatmeal bar base. Oatmeal is one of the healthiest grains around. They are naturally gluten-free and contain many beneficial nutrients, minerals, and fiber.
- Milled flax seed. Another name for milled flax seed is ground flaxseed. If you can't find milled flax seed, you can use a coffee bean grinder or food processor to turn whole flax seeds into ground flax seed. Flax is full of important omega-3 fatty acid.
- Sea salt. I love sea salt! It adds additional texture to food and help bring out the flavor in food. The sea salt is a nice pairing with the dark chocolate.
- Almond butter. Almond butter is a peanut butter alternative an adds a unique flavor to these chocolate almond butter oatmeal bars.
- Pure maple syrup. Aldi's pure maple syrup was voted an Aldi Fan Favorite in 2020. Pure maple syrup is a sugar alternative.
- Pecans. Pecans help make up the oatmeal base for this oatmeal bar dessert.
- Dark chocolate morsels. The dark chocolate makes this oatmeal bar very rich. Alternatively, you could use milk chocolate morsels or semi-sweet chocolate morsels.
- Roasted almonds with sea salt. The roasted almonds with sea salt add an additional crunchy texture. The sea salt flavor is extra yummy.
Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Oatmeal Bars
For the base:
- 1 ½ cups old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup milled flax seed
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup almond butter
- ⅓ cup 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
For the topping:
- ¾ cup dark chocolate morsels
- 2 tbsps almond butter
- ¼ cup roasted almonds with sea salt (chopped)
- Use parchment paper or wax paper to line an 8x8 square pan. Alternatively, grease the pan with butter.
- Mix together the oats, milled flax seed, salt, almond butter and maple syrup until thoroughly combined.
- Using your hands or a utensil, firmly press the mixture into the pan.
- Combine the chocolate morsels and the remaining almond butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat the mixture in the microwave in 15 second increments, stirring between each time, until fully melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture on top of the base and spread the chocolate evenly over the top. Sprinkle with the crushed almonds. Cool in the refrigerator or freezer until the chocolate is hardened, or about an hour.
- Slice into 8 large bars or 16 smaller bars.