You should try this Instant Pot Keto Beef & Broccoli recipe as an easy low-carb dinner.
I try to make one Asian inspired recipe at least once a week. I love the mix of the sweet and salty flavors that a lot of Asian inspired recipes offer.
Classic beef & broccoli is one of my go-to Asian inspired dinner recipes. However, this recipe uses Keto-friendly ingredients without losing the traditional taste of classic beef & broccoli.
One of my other favorite easy Keto dinners is Keto Pesto Chicken Bake. The Pesto Chicken Bake recipe has an Italian flair so this Instant Pot Keto Beef & Broccoli recipe adds a nice balance to my weekly dinner menu.
The beef is placed in an Instant Pot and covered with sliced onions and a sweet and salty Asian inspired beef and broccoli sauce. The heat and pressure from the Instant Pot helps tenderize the beef in a short amount of time.
After the beef is cooked, frozen broccoli florets are added to the Instant Pot and heated.
The Keto-friendly Beef & Broccoli recipe can be served over riced cauliflower or served by itself.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It is an easy way to include more broccoli in your family's diet.
- This Keto meal is quick and easy for busy weeknights and doesn't require much prep time.
- The homemade Instant Pot Keto Beef & Broccoli recipe arguably tastes better than what you can order at a restaurant. Plus it is low-carb!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Keto Beef & Broccoli
- Ground ginger
- Soy sauce (low-sodium)
- Toasted sesame oil
- Rice vinegar
- Stevia (optional)
- Broccoli florets
Beef: You can use a variety of beef cuts to make the beef & broccoli recipe. This recipe is best using chuck roast or sirloin steak.
Onion: A yellow or white onion is preferable.
Garlic: Fresh minced garlic is a staple ingredient for most Asian inspired meals.
Ground ginger: Ginger adds an additional level of depth to the recipe. Minced fresh ginger can also be used, but I don't always keep it on hand so I'll use ground ginger instead.
Soy sauce: I prefer to cook with low-sodium soy sauce since regular soy sauce can make recipes too salty. If you use regular soy sauce, the recipe may be too salty.
Toasted sesame oil: This is a cabinet staple for me. It adds a lot of flavor to the beef & broccoli sauce.
Rice vinegar: I consider rice vinegar as another cabinet staple since it is used in a variety of Asian recipes. Most grocery stores carry it.
Stevia: Stevia is a Keto-friendly sugar substitute. I don't cook with Stevia very often, but I do like to keep Stevia sugar packets on hand. You can skip adding the Stevia, but the recipe will have a deeper, saltier flavor without any sweetness.
Broccoli: I opt to use frozen broccoli florets. Fresh broccoli would be a slightly healthier option, but using frozen broccoli saves time on a busy weeknight when I want to get dinner on the table quickly.
How to Make Instant Pot Keto Beef & Broccoli: Step by Step Instructions
Follow these steps to make Keto Beef & Broccoli in your pressure cooker:
Step 1: Add the raw beef into the metal insert of your pressure cooker.
Step 2: Slice the onion. Add the onions on top of the beef.
Step 3: Mix together the garlic, ginger, low-sodium soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, water, and Stevia until combined. Pour the mixture over the beef and onions.
Step 4: Lock the lid in place. Cook on manual mode for 20 minutes. Double check to make sure the valve is set to the sealing position.
Step 5: When the cooking time ends, do a quick pressure release. (Set the valve to the venting position and when the valve drops, carefully remove the lid.)
Step 6: Next, select the "Saute" function and stir in the frozen broccoli florets. Close the lid and let the frozen broccoli florets cook for about 5 minutes or until they are warmed through. If you prefer, you can heat the frozen broccoli florets according to the package directions in the microwave then add them to the beef and broccoli mixture once they are heated.
Step 7: Serve the beef & broccoli by itself or over riced cauliflower.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is rice vinegar Keto?
Yes, rice vinegar is Keto-friendly. It has 0 carbs. Rice vinegar can usually be purchased at your local grocery store.
Can I make this beef and broccoli recipe gluten free?
Yes. Substitute the soy sauce with coconut aminos or gluten-free soy sauce.
Can I use fresh broccoli?
Yes, you can use fresh broccoli for this recipe. Wash the fresh broccoli head and cut into bite-sized broccoli florets. Add the broccoli to the Instant Pot as if you were adding frozen broccoli. However, the fresh broccoli may cook faster than the frozen broccoli.
Storage & Reheating:
- Storage: Store the beef & broccoli in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Note: The broccoli florets could get soggy, but the basic flavor will still taste great.
- Reheating: Reheat the Keto-friendly beef & broccoli in the microwave. Heat it in one minute increments until hot.
- Freezing: The beef & broccoli could be stored in the freezer. However, the broccoli florets may lost their shape and texture. One option is to cook the beef and sauce mixture then freeze it before the broccoli is added.
Additions and Substitutions
Minced fresh ginger: As noted above, you can use minced fresh ginger instead of powdered ginger. I don't always have fresh ginger on hand, but I typically do have powdered ginger so that is what I tend to use.
Other sugar substitutes: I like to use Stevia for this recipe, but Allulose, monk fruit, stevia, and erythritol are all keto sweeteners that taste like sugar. The ratios may not be the same as Stevia so make sure to look at a Stevia conversion chart.
Mushrooms: Another Keto-friendly vegetable to add are mushrooms.
Instant Pot Keto Beef & Broccoli
- 1 Pressure cooker (such as an Instant Pot)
- 1.5 lbs. beef (chuck roast or sirloin steak)
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 packets Stevia (optional)
- 2 bags frozen broccoli
- Add the beef to the Instant Pot.
- Slice the onions. Add the onions on top of the sirloin.
- Mix together the garlic, powdered ginger, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, water, and Stevia packet (if using). Pour over the meat and onions.
- Lock the lid in place. Cook on manual mode for 20 minutes. Double check to make sure the valve is set to the sealing position.
- When the cooking time ends, do a quick pressure release. (Set the valve to the venting position and when the valve drops, carefully remove the lid.)
- Next, select the “Saute” function and stir in the frozen broccoli florets. Close the lid and let the frozen broccoli florets cook for about 5 minutes or until they are warmed through.
- Serve the Keto Beef & Broccoli with riced cauliflower.