What could be better than a microwavable 3 Ingredient Nutella Mug Cake? The first time I tried Nutella was more than 15 years ago while I was studying abroad in Europe. I immediately fell in love with the creamy mixture of hazelnut and chocolate flavors.
I was so excited when I saw that a Nutella Mug Cake recipe was going viral on places like TikTok. It is one of the best mug cake recipes I've tried.
Why you’ll love this Nutella Mug Cake recipe
- The Nutella Mug Cake requires only 3 ingredients that are easy to find: Nutella, an egg, and flour.
- The mug cake takes only 1 minute to cook in the microwave rather than the typical 30-40 minutes it takes to bake a traditional cake.
- The mug cake is the best recipe to make for a fast cake for one person. If you have a midnight craving for cake, this 3 ingredient Nutella Mug Cake is so quick to make since you'll use a microwave instead of an oven.
Nutella Mug Cake Recipe Ingredients
- All-purpose flour
Nutella: Nutella is a creamy spread that tastes like hazelnuts and chocolate. Nutella is the name brand, but some stores carry a private label brand that is simply called "hazelnut spread."
Egg: Most cakes require egg(s). Adding an egg to the mug cake helps bind the ingredients and helps make the cake fluffy.
All-purpose flour: Flour is also a critical ingredient for a cake. You can try to add a gluten-free flour option, but the texture of the mug cake may not turn out the same.
How to Make 3 Ingredient Nutella Mug Cake: Step by Step Instructions
Mug cakes are a fast and easy way to make a quick one-person dessert. This Nutella Mug Cake is one of the best mug cakes you can make because it requires only three ingredients.
Step 1: In a coffee mug, whisk an egg.
Step 2: Stir in the Nutella until the mixture is smooth.
Step 3: Add the flour. Continue to stir until the mixture is well blended.
Step 4: Microwave on high for 50 seconds. Check the 3 Ingredient Nutella Mug Cake to see if the center is set. If it needs additional time, microwave in 10 second increments. The cake may be slightly gooey, but as long as the center is generally firm then the Nutella Mug Cake is ready. Do not overcook!
3 Ingredient Nutella Mug Cake
- ¼ cup Nutella (hazelnut spread)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a microwavable coffee mug, whisk an egg.
- Stir in the Nutella until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the flour. Continue to stir until the mixture is well blended.
- Microwave on high for 50 seconds. Check the 3 Ingredient Nutella Mug Cake to see if the center is set. If it needs additional time, microwave in 10 second increments.
- Do not overcook!
- The cake may be slightly gooey, but as long as the center is generally firm then the Nutella Mug Cake is ready.
- Make sure to mix the egg and Nutella together until the mixture is smooth before adding the flour. Otherwise, the ingredients may not blend well and the mixture will end up clumpy.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Do not overcook the 3 ingredient Nutella mug cake. If you overcook the Nutella mug cake, it will dry out. Start by cooking it for 50 seconds in the microwave. If it looks too gooey in the middle, microwave it for an additional 10 seconds until the center becomes firm.
- Whisk the egg with the Nutella before adding the flour. If you add the flour before thoroughly combing the Nutella and egg then the batter may become lumpy.
Storage & Reheating:
- Storage: It is best to eat the 3 Ingredient Nutella Mug cake immediately after making it. However, you can store any leftovers in the refrigerator for 1-3 days.
- Reheating: It would be hard to reheat the Nutella mug cake without the possibility of overcooking it. If you are trying to reheat leftovers, microwave it in 5 second intervals until it reaches the desired temperature.
- Freezing: It is not recommended to freeze the Nutella mug cake.
Additions and Substitutions
Gluten-free flour: You can use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour if you are looking for a gluten-free Nutella mug cake recipe. However, gluten-free flour will not rise as well as all-purpose flour so keep that in mind.
Toppings: You can top the Nutella Mug cake with cold vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, sprinkles, or even milk.