Try this Dalgona Coffee Recipe for One! Dalgona coffee (also known as whipped coffee) is a recent viral coffee trend on TikTok in 2023 and in previous years that uses instant coffee, sugar, hot water, and milk to create a frothy, cold coffee drink. Have you tried Dalgona coffee yet?
Dalgona coffee is also called whipped coffee. The name "dalgona" comes from a Korean street snack. The way Korean dalgona candy is made looks slightly similar to whipped coffee. Therefore, whipped coffee is also referred to as dalgona coffee.
People have been making Dalgona coffee (a.k.a. whipped coffee) for a while. It become a viral food trend on TikTok in 2023 and in the last couple of years.
What is Dalgona coffee?
Dalgona coffee (whipped coffee) is exactly what is sounds like! The main ingredients are: instant coffee, sugar, hot water, and milk. The instant coffee interacts with the hot water and the mixing process. It creates a frothy and foamy coffee texture similar to whipped cream.
The instant coffee, sugar, and hot water are mixed together until a foamy texture is created. The coffee is added on top of hot or cold milk once the coffee mixture reaches the right consistency.
What are the ingredients in Dalgona coffee?
The ingredients for the Dalgona coffee recipe for one are simple.
- Instant coffee. I specifically bought instant coffee to make this recipe since I never use it otherwise. I purchased this instant coffee from Aldi.
- Sugar. I prefer to add plain white sugar. You can make dalgona coffee without sugar. However, I've experimented with adding a sugar substitute like Stevia, but I find that it creates a bitter taste.
- Hot water. The hot water is used to dissolve the instant coffee.
- Milk of choice. You can serve the frothy dalgona coffee recipe for one over your preferred milk. You can serve it hot or cold.
Do you have to use instant coffee to make Dalgona coffee?
Yes, you have to use instant coffee to make dalgona coffee. The instant coffee interacts with the hot water after it is whipped together for several minutes. Regular coffee grounds would never create the frothy texture that instant coffee creates.
How do you pronounce dalgona?
Dalgona is pronounced "Dal-go-nah" in English. It translates to "it's sweet" in the Korean language.
How do you make dalgona coffee for one?
Dalgona coffee only requires three ingredients in addition to hot water. Here are the steps to make the recipe for dalgona coffee for one:
- First, add instant coffee, sugar, and hot water to a bowl. Stir the ingredients together. Next, use a hand blender, mix the ingredients for 2-4 minutes until stiff peaks form. A stand mixer or milk frother could work too. You could also hand mix the ingredients, but it will take a lot longer.
- Now fill a glass with your milk of choice. If you want a cold drink, you can add a couple of ice cubes first. Spoon the coffee mixture on top of the milk.
Dalgona Coffee for One
- Glass bowl
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee (must be instant coffee)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup milk of choice
- Add the hot water, instant coffee, and sugar to a bowl.
- Mix the ingredients for 2-4 minutes until stiff peaks forms. A hand mixer or stand mixer is preferred.
- Add the dalgona coffee (whipped coffee) to the top of a glass of milk.
- Stir the milk and the dalgona coffee together if desired.
- Instant coffee must be used to make whipped coffee. Regular ground coffee will not work.
- You can add the dalgona coffee for one over hot or cold milk.
What do you recommend serving with dalgona coffee?
I think of chocolate when I think of coffee! Try Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Oatmeal Bars for a tasty pairing.