Sleepy Girl Mocktail is a three-ingredient non-alcoholic drink that blends tart cherry juice, magnesium powder, and sparkling water to create a healthy bedtime drink. The TikTok viral drink recipe promotes better sleep and can be made in less than 5 minutes.
- What is Sleepy Girl Mocktail on TikTok?
- Ingredient List
- Ingredient Notes
- How to Make the TikTok Sleepy Girl Mocktail
- 📖 Recipe
- Modification Ideas
- When should you drink the Sleepy Girl Mocktail?
- Do you have to use magnesium powder?
- Does drinking tart cherry juice actually help promote sleep?
- Do you have to use tart cherry juice?
- Is tart cherry juice high in sugar?
- What is prebiotic soda?
- My Honest Review
- 💬 Comments
What is Sleepy Girl Mocktail on TikTok?
The three-ingredient Sleepy Girl Mocktail is a viral drink recipe on TikTok. It was originally posted in March of 2023 by influencer Gracie Norton. Since then, other TikTok users and people across the internet have created their own #sleepygirlmocktail recipes.
The original Sleepy Girl Mocktail recipe went viral again in January 2024, most likely due to "Dry January." During "Dry January," individuals abstain from consuming alcoholic beverages for the entire month of January. People start looking for healthy drinks that don't have alcohol and are good to drink before going to bed.
This healthy non-alcoholic bedtime drink only requires three ingredients:
- Tart cherry juice
- Magnesium powder
- Sparkling water or prebiotic soda
- Tart cherry juice. Tart cherry juice is a beverage made from the juice of tart cherries, also known as sour cherries. It is known for its potential health benefits. Tart cherries contain melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep-wake cycles. This is one of the main reasons tart cherry juice is used to create the Sleepy Girl Mocktail recipe.
- Magnesium powder. Magnesium supplements help manage stress and promote a sense of calm. Note: There is a difference between magnesium citrate and magnesium glycinate. Magnesium citrate has strong laxative properties while magnesium glycinate is often recommended for individuals who may be more sensitive to the laxative effects of other magnesium supplements.
- Sparkling water or prebiotic soda. Any sparkling water would work for this recipe. The original Sleepy Girl Mocktail recipe recommends using prebiotic soda pop like Olipop in the Lemon Lime flavor. I used the Poppi prebiotic soda in the Cherry Limeade Flavor.
How to Make the TikTok Sleepy Girl Mocktail
The Sleepy Girl Mocktail TikTok recipe requires only three ingredients and is very easy to make.
- First, gather your ingredients: tart cherry juice, magnesium powder, and either sparkling water or prebiotic soda.
- Next, measure out the ingredients according to the recipe card and add the ingredients to a drinking glass.
- Stir the ingredients together with a spoon or a handheld frother.
- Sip the Sleepy Girl Mocktail thirty minutes to an hour before bed to help promote a good night's sleep.
Sleepy Girl Mocktail TikTok Recipe
- ½ cup tart cherry juice
- 1 tablespoon magnesium (glycinate) powder
- ¼ cup sparkling water or prebiotic soda
- Gather the tart cherry juice, magnesium powder, and sparkling water or prebiotic soda.
- Add all of the ingredients to a glass.
- Gently stir the ingredients together with a spoon or a handheld frother.
Add a dash of cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, or all spice to add a warm spice flavor. Cinnamon specifically contains antioxidants, aids blood sugar control, reduces inflammation, supports heart health, fights infections, and may enhance cognitive function. (University of Maryland)
Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with "The Mother." Apple cider vinegar promotes weight loss, stabilizes blood sugar, aids digestion, and has antimicrobial properties.
When should you drink the Sleepy Girl Mocktail?
Research suggests the best time to drink tart cherry juice approximately 30 minutes to one hour before bedtime. The timing occurs as your body's natural melatonin production is on the rise. This enables the positive benefits of the tart cherry juice to take effect.
Do you have to use magnesium powder?
No, if you do not have magnesium powder you do not have to use it for this recipe. The tart cherry juice is the ingredient most responsible for the "sleepy" effect in the Sleepy Girl Mocktail. Magnesium powder is mainly used for its calming properties, which indirectly contributes to improved sleep.
Does drinking tart cherry juice actually help promote sleep?
Yes, drinking tart cherry juice can help promote sleep according to various studies.
According to a study that was published in the European Journal of Nutrition, "...consumption of a tart cherry juice concentrate provides an increase in exogenous melatonin that is beneficial in improving sleep duration and quality in healthy men and women and might be of benefit in managing disturbed sleep." (National Library of Medicine)
Do you have to use tart cherry juice?
It is important to use 100% tart cherry juice if you want to gain the full sleep benefits of the Sleepy Girl Mocktail recipe. If you are just looking for an enjoyable non-alcohol drink to sip before bed, then you can experiment with any type of fruit juice that you enjoy.
Is tart cherry juice high in sugar?
Yes, tart cherry juice has a high sugar content. It is important to find 100% pure tart cherry juice without added sugar. However, even without added sugar, tart cherry juice is high in natural occurring sugar. The consumption of sugar before bed may counteract potential sleep benefits of the tart cherry juice.
What is prebiotic soda?
Carbonated beverages labeled as prebiotic sodas are infused with prebiotic fibers. These fibers help feed the healthy bacteria already in your gut.
According to the Poppi soda website, "Each can of Poppi includes agave inulin, a prebiotic (and natural sweetener!) extracted from the agave tequilana plant."
Olipop sources its prebiotics from a variety of ingredients, such as marshmallow root, cassava root, chicory root, and cactus.
My Honest Review
I enjoy having a drink before going to sleep, whether it is a glass of wine, a high-protein smoothie, or a Sleepy Girl Mocktail. I actually really like this Sleepy Girl Mocktail recipe. It is a great alternative to a glass of wine. The taste has a lingering tart flavor that is similar to red wine.
I don't love the fact that tart cherry juice still contains a high amount of natural sugar. As a general rule, I try to be very conscious of the sugar content I am consuming.
However, I did notice an improved night's sleep when I drink a #sleepygirlmocktail. The same night I drank the Sleepy Girl Mocktail I dreamt about a young Gerard Butler... take that as you will (and, yes, I told my husband). Ha ha!
- Easy to make
- Good replacement for a glass of wine
- Relatively high sugar content
- Tart cherry juice can be more expensive than regular fruit juice
What do you think of this TikTok viral Sleepy Girl Mocktail recipe? Is it worth all of the hype?