5 ingredient meatloaf is a simple meatloaf recipe that requires only 5 basic ingredients: ground beef, dry onion soup mix (such as Lipton dry onion soup mix), ketchup, quick oats, and eggs.
To make this "bomb" meatloaf, you will mix together the ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Then you shape the mixture into a loaf and bake it in the oven until it is cooked through.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- With only five ingredients, this recipe is incredibly easy to prepare, and it won't take up too much of your time in the kitchen. This is perfect for busy weeknights when you want to get dinner on the table quickly.
- Despite its simplicity, 5 ingredient meatloaf is a flavorful and satisfying meal. The combination of ground beef, dry onion soup mix, ketchup, oats, and eggs creates a savory and comforting flavor that many people love.
- Meatloaf is a classic comfort food. It is a perfect hearty and satisfying meal to make for your family and friends year-round. Serve a 3 Ingredient Key Lime Pie for dessert.
The 5 Recipe Ingredients Needed
- Ground beef
- Dry onion soup mix
- Quick oats
Ground beef: Ground beef is the main ingredient in meatloaf. I prefer to use 80/20 ground beef. Using 80/20 ground beef strikes a good balance between flavor, moisture, and texture. This results in a moist and flavorful meatloaf that isn't too greasy.
Dry onion soup mix: Dry onion soup mix is a packaged mixture of dried ingredients that typically includes dehydrated onions, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Lipton dry onion soup mix is one of the more well-known brands, but an off-brand would work just as well. Aldi sells the brand Chef's Cupboard Onion Recipe, Soup or Dip Mix.
Ketchup: Ketchup is a popular ingredient in meatloaf. It adds moisture and flavor. The ketchup glaze is one of the favorite parts of meatloaf. I use ketchup from Aldi.
Quick oats: Oats serve many purpose in meatloaf recipes. Oats help bind the ingredients together so the meatloaf doesn't fall apart. It also adds some bulk to the meatloaf, which helps make it more filling.
Eggs: The eggs act as a binder, holding the meatloaf together and preventing it from falling apart during cooking.
How to Make 5 Ingredient Meatloaf: Step by Step Instructions
This 5 Ingredient Meatloaf recipe is quick and easy to make and is a great option for a delicious weeknight dinner.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2: In a bowl, mix together the ground beef, ½ cup of the ketchup, quick oats, dry onion soup mix, and eggs. Blend all the ingredients thoroughly by hand for a few minutes until they are well combined.
Step 3: Form the mixture into a loaf shape and then transfer it to a loaf pan.
Step 4: Coat the top of the meatloaf with the remaining ½ cup of ketchup using a brush.
Step 5: Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes or until the meat's internal temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit. If it appears that the meatloaf is browning before it is cooked through, add foil over the meatloaf until it reaches the appropriate temperature.
5 Ingredient Meatloaf
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup, divided
- 1 cup quick oats
- 2 packets dry onion soup mix
- 2 whole eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, mix together the ground beef, ½ cup of the ketchup, quick oats, dry onion soup mix, and eggs. Blend all the ingredients thoroughly by hand for a few minutes until they are well combined.
- Form the mixture into a loaf shape and then transfer it to a loaf pan.
- Coat the top of the meatloaf with the remaining ½ cup of ketchup using a brush.
- Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes or until the meat's internal temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit. If it appears that the meatloaf is browning before it is cooked through, add foil over the meatloaf until it reaches the appropriate temperature.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Choose ground beef with a fat content of around 80/20 for a moist and flavorful meatloaf. It may dry out during baking if the ground beef is too lean.
- Don't over-mix the meat and other ingredients. Over-mixing can result in a dense and tough meatloaf, so be gentle when mixing the ingredients together.
- Allow the meatloaf to rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing it. This allows the juices to distribute evenly, making it more flavorful and tender.
Can I make meatloaf ahead of time?
Yes, meatloaf can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. You can prepare the meatloaf mixture, shape it into a loaf, and then cover it tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours. When you're ready to bake the meatloaf, simply remove it from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature for about 30 minutes before placing it in a loaf pan or on a baking sheet in the oven.
Can I freeze meatloaf?
If you want to make meatloaf ahead of time to freeze and serve later, prepare the meatloaf as usual, but do not bake it. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or foil, and then place it in an airtight container or freezer bag. It can be frozen for up to three months. When you're ready to cook the frozen meatloaf, remove it from the freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then, place in a loaf pan or on a baking sheet and bake according to the 5 Ingredient Meatloaf recipe.
How do I add more flavor to my meatloaf?
If you want to make your meatloaf more flavor, try using dry onion soup mix (such as Lipton) in your meatloaf just like this recipe suggests. The dry onion soup mix adds so much flavor to the meatloaf recipe - which is the reason I think this is the best meatloaf recipe you may ever make.
Can I use something besides bread crumbs in meatloaf?
Yes, you can use oats (quick oats or rolled oats) instead of bread crumbs in meatloaf. Oats are generally considered a healthier alternative to bread crumbs in cooking since they are gluten-free and have more nutritional content than bread crumbs.
How long does it take to cook meatloaf?
The cooking time for meatloaf can vary. The standard one pound meatloaf typically takes around 45-60 minutes to cook in a preheated oven set to 350°F. The internal temperature should reach 160°F (71°C) for beef meatloaf.
Can I substitute ground turkey for ground beef in meatloaf?
Yes, ground turkey can be a good substitute for ground beef in meatloaf. Ground turkey is leaner than ground beef, so it may result in a slightly drier texture. It is important to make sure the internal temperature of the turkey meatloaf reaches at least 165°F rather than 160°F.