Instant Ramen noodles are a staple food item at our house so I've been excited to try this TikTok Ramen Noodle recipe.
I am new to the TikTok world and all of the viral TikTok food trends of 2022. When my seven year old (who doesn't even have a phone or social media) started talking about TikTok, I decided that TikTok must be worth checking out.
The ingredients for viral TikTok Ramen Noodles are easy to find. I had all of the ingredients for the TikTok Ramen Noodle Hack already in my pantry.
What does TikTok Ramen taste like?
Tiktok ramen combines lots of flavors into one easy-to-make noodle dish. The sauce is slightly sweet, slightly spicy, and full of umami.
What does umami mean? Umami is one of the five basic tastes. It is what some people would call savory. The garlic and butter add an extra flavor dimension to this noodle dish too. The Ramen noodle hack isn't soup-y since you drain all of the excess water after boiling the noodles.
What are TikTok Ramen Noodles?
The TikTok Ramen Noodles recipe went viral at the end of 2021 and is just a twist on traditional Instant Ramen noodles. It has also been called the Kylie Jenner Ramen Recipe.
The instant Ramen noodles are the main ingredient, but you throw away the seasoning packet that you usually use. You then make your own Ramen noodle sauce.
The sauce is thick instead of the soupy broth that is typical of Ramen noodles. The sauce consists of garlic, soy sauce, butter, and brown sugar. The final toppings are an egg and Everything But the Bagel (aka EBTB) seasoning.
Do Tiktok Ramen Noodles taste good?
Yes! TikTok Ramen Noodles do taste good. Is it a gourmet meal? I don't think so. If you are looking for a way to dress up traditional Ramen noodles, the TikTok Ramen noodles recipe is one of your best options. It is the perfect mix between sweet and savory. Plus, the Everything But the Bagel seasoning adds another level of flavor.
What are the ingredients in TikTok Ramen?
The ingredients needed to make TikTok Ramen noodles are easy ingredients to find.
I do about 99% of my shopping at Aldi - a discount grocery chain - and I am able to find all of these ingredients at Aldi except for the crushed red pepper. (Note: The Everything But the Bagel seasoning is a seasonal item).
- Instant Ramen Noodles - Since you will discard the seasoning packet, you can choose whatever type of Ramen noodles you prefer. I buy Maruchan Ramen noodles from Aldi.
- Butter - You'll only need a couple of tablespoons of butter to saute the garlic and scramble the egg.
- Garlic - I love to have a jar of minced garlic on hand, but you can also use a garlic press to mince a fresh garlic clove.
- Brown sugar. The brown sugar adds the sweet flavor to the Ramen noodle recipe. You could substitute the brown sugar with white sugar, honey, agave, or another preferred sweetener.
- Soy sauce – Traditional soy sauce can be very salty so I prefer to use a low-sodium soy sauce. I can always add some additional salt later.
- Crushed red pepper flakes – Like I mentioned above, this is the only ingredient I can't find consistently at Aldi (my preferred grocery store). You do not have to add the crushed red pepper flakes if you don't like spicy food.
- Egg – The scrambled egg will add some texture and protein to the dish.
- Everything But the Bagel seasoning / Furikake Seasoning – This seasoning blend will be sprinkled on the dish at the very end. A lot of grocery stores carry this now, but you can also make your own Everything But the Bagel seasoning blend. Furikake seasoning is also another name. Aldi sells Everything but the Bagel Seasoning and Trader Joe sells an Everything but the Bagel Seasoning.
How Do You Make TikTok Ramen Noodles?
The steps to make the TikTok Ramen Noodles recipe are very easy. Follow these directions:
- Cook your instant ramen. Follow the package directions like you normally would. Usually this means you need to boil a pot of water on the stove. Once it is boiling, add the noodles to the pot. Do not cook the noodles longer than about 3 minutes or you will end up with mushy noodles.
- Drain noodles & discard seasoning packet. Drain all the liquid from the noodles. Either toss the Ramen noodle seasoning packet in the trash or save it for another recipe.
- Make the sauce. Heat a small pan on the stove on low heat. Add the butter untile melted. Add the garlic and cook until it is soft (about 1 minute). Stir in the crushed red pepper. Finally, stir in the soy sauce and brown sugar.
- Toss the noodles in the sauce. Add the drained noodles to the pan and toss the noodles with the sauce.
- Cook the egg. Make sure the pan is on medium heat. Move the noodles to one side of the pan. Crack the egg into the pan and scramble the egg just until the egg is set. (Tip: You may need to add a little butter to the pan before adding the egg to prevent the egg from sticking to the pan.)
- Enjoy. Move the TikTok Ramen noodles to a bowl. Top with sliced scallions/green onions and sprinkle Everything But the Bagel (EBTB) seasoning on top.
How many servings does this make?
This recipe serves one individual, but you can easily double the recipe to serve a larger crowd.
Can I make TikTok Ramen ahead of time?
No, I would not make the Ramen noodle hack ahead of time. The noodles will tend to lose the appropriate texture.
TikTok Ramen Noodles
- Mixing bowl
- Frying pan
- 1 package Instant Ramen Noodles (discard flavoring packet)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Everything But the Bagel Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon green onions (optional)
- Boil a pan of water on the stove. Once the water is boiling, add the noodles to the pot and cook for 3 minutes. Drain all of the water from the Ramen noodles and discard the seasoning packet.
- Heat a small pan on the stove over low heat. Add the butter until melted. Add the garlic and cook until it is fragrant (about 1 minute). Stir in the crushed red pepper (optional). Finally, stir in the soy sauce and brown sugar.
- Add the noodles to the pan with the sauce. Gently toss the sauce and Ramen noodles together.
- Make sure the pan with the sauce and noodles is on medium heat. Move the noodles with the sauce to one side of the pan. Crack the egg onto the empty side of the pan and scramble the egg with a utensil just until the egg is set. (Tip: You may need to add a little butter to the pan before adding the egg to prevent the egg from sticking to the pan.)
- Serve the TikTok Ramen noodles in a bowl. Sprinkle with Everything But the Bagel Seasoning and green onions, if desired.
- Do not overcook the Ramen noodles in the boiling water. The noodles are done after 3 minutes.