Did you know you can make a cottage cheese milkshake? Cottage cheese recipes have gone viral on places like TikTok.
This cottage cheese milkshake is another healthy protein milkshake recipe that is perfect for anyone trying to add more protein to their diet - from bodybuilders to people trying to hit their daily macros.
When making this Cottage Cheese Milkshake recipe, you'll follow a similar process as a regular milkshake. However, you'll substitute cottage cheese for the ice cream or yogurt that is typically in a vanilla or chocolate milkshake.
Omitting the ice cream and yogurt and adding cottage cheese is what makes this a healthy protein milkshake recipe.
Combine cottage cheese with the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth. You'll have a delicious and healthy protein-packed milkshake to enjoy.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Cottage cheese can lend a smooth and creamy texture to a milkshake. When blended well, it creates a velvety consistency.
- Cottage cheese is a good source of protein, making it a nutritious addition to your milkshake. Protein helps with satiety, meaning it can keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer.
- Cottage cheese is generally lower in calories compared to ice cream or yogurt, which are commonly used in milkshakes. If you're watching your calorie intake, a cottage cheese milkshake can be a healthier alternative.
Cottage Cheese Milkshake Recipe Ingredients
- Cottage cheese
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Frozen banana
- Cocoa powder
Milk: Use your favorite milk of choice. Regular milk or a milk-alternative such as oat milk or almond milk can be used.
Cottage cheese: The addition of cottage cheese will increase the protein content of this healthy milkshake and helps create a creamy base for the milkshake. I use cottage cheese from Aldi.
Maple syrup: The addition of maple syrup helps sweeten the milkshake. Maple syrup is a natural sweetener. This healthy, high-protein milkshake recipe has no processed sugar. Honey could also be used.
Vanilla extract: The addition of vanilla extract is perfect when making either a vanilla cottage cheese milkshake or a chocolate cottage cheese milkshake.
Frozen banana: I have a stash of frozen bananas in my freezer. If I can't use a banana before it gets too ripe, I will toss it in a freezer bag to use in smoothies or in recipes like 3 Ingredient Banana Oatmeal Muffins. The frozen banana will make the milkshake creamy and cold.
Cocoa powder: The addition of cocoa powder is important for making a healthy chocolate cottage cheese milkshake. If you want to make a vanilla cottage cheese milkshake, don't add the cocoa powder.
How to Make a Cottage Cheese Milkshake
It is so easy to make this healthy cottage cheese milkshake recipe!
Step 1: Add the milk and cottage cheese to the blender. Blend until you no longer see any cottage cheese curds.
Step 2: Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until creamy and smooth.
Cottage Cheese Milkshake
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 frozen banana
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (omit if making a vanilla milkshake)
- Add the milk and cottage cheese to the blender. Blend until you no longer see any cottage cheese curds.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until creamy and smooth.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- To ensure a smooth consistency, blend the cottage cheese and milk together before adding the other ingredients until no cottage cheese curds are visible. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Consider adding a sprinkle of cinnamon, a dollop of whipped cream, or a drizzle of chocolate sauce as a finishing touch.
- Add protein powder for even more protein! Just remember that most protein powders are sweet. You may want to leave out the maple syrup if you add protein powder.
Any extra cottage cheese milkshake can be stored in an an air-tight container in the refrigerator. A glass top jar with a lid is a perfect way to store milkshake leftovers - this allows you to quickly grab the milkshake to go!
Additions and Substitutions
This Cottage Cheese Milkshake recipe uses a frozen banana to give the milkshake a creamy texture. However, if you don't like bananas, you can a try substituting the frozen banana with about a cup of ice cubes.
The ice cubes will help make the cottage cheese milkshake cold without having to use a frozen banana. The texture of the milkshake won't turn out as smooth and creamy though. Unless you have a high-end blender, the milkshake will most likely have little ice chunks in it.